Sony has revealed the new PlayStation 5 (PS5) at an online event recently. According to the Japanese tech giant, it will be available in two models. One being the standard model, while the other a digital edition. Although both devices look very similar, the standard model PlayStation 5 will feature an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive, while the Digital Edition version comes without a disc drive. Other similarities include sporting a USB-A port and USB-C port along with a power button.
Specification details show the PS5 packing 8-core AMD Zen 2 based CPU, RDNA 2 based GPU with 36 compute units, 16GB GDDR6 RAM that is complemented with custom 825GB NVMe SSD. The game also features Tempest Audio engine which, according to the company can process hundreds of sound sources in high quality to provide excellent sound presence and locality.
For the design, the PS5 is vertical in shape, with a touch of white and black colours. It also sports a blue LED lighting on the front along with the USB-A port and USB-C port.
Along with the game console, is the DualSense Wireless Controller, and a charging station that can charge two controllers at a time. Other accessories that come with the PS5 include PULSE 3D Wireless Headset offering 3D audio support and dual noise-cancelling microphones, HD Camera featuring dual 1080p lenses for gamers to broadcast themselves along with their gameplay moments and a media remote with built-in microphone to navigate movies and streaming services.
Some of the games showcase during the unveiled include;
- Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio)
- Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio)
- Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV)
- Gran Turismo 7 (Polyphony Digital)
- Horizon Forbidden West (Guerrilla Games)
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Insomniac Games)
- Returnal (Housemarque / XDEV)
- Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV)
- Bugsnax (Young Horses)
- DEATHLOOP (Bethesda)
- Ghostwire: Tokyo (Bethesda)
- Godfall™ (Gearbox Publishing / Counterplay Games)
- Goodbye Volcano High (KO-OP)
- Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar Games)
- HITMAN 3 (IO Interactive)
- JETT : The Far Shore® (Superbrothers)
- Kena: Bridge of the Spirits (Ember Lab)
- Little Devil Inside (Neostream Interactive)
- NBA 2K21 (2K, Visual Concepts)
- Oddworld Soulstorm™ (Oddworld Inhabitants™)
- Pragmata (Capcom)
- Project Athia* (Square Enix/Luminous Productions)
- Resident Evil Village (Capcom)
- Solar Ash (Annapurna Interactive / Heart Machine)
- Stray (Annapurna / Blue Twelve Studio)
- Tribes of Midgard (Gearbox Publishing / Norsfell)
- The Pathless (Annapurna Interactive / Giant Squid)
The price of the PS5 has not been made official, but it the game itself should be around in December 2020, during the holidays.